If your home has been seriously damaged by a fire or water from a leak, you probably want to address the problem and restore your home. But what exactly are restoration companies and what do they do?
What is a restoration company?
After your home has been damaged by a major incident or event, like a fire, flood, water damage or sewage backup, restoration companies are typically on site soon after first responders (if the fire department or police are needed) have secured the scene. Restoration companies clean up the mess and protect the home so that it is not damaged in the future. You want to make sure the restoration company you choose is certified by industry standards and its employees and subcontractors are licensed as needed by local and state government.
The process of finding and using a restoration company
Now that you know what a restoration company is and does, now you might want to learn how to go about the process of finding and using one to restore your home.
- Call your insurance agent after the major event occurs.
- The insurance company will offer you information about restoration companies to remove the water or restore the home after a fire. Pro Tip: If your home has been affected by fire and smoke damage your insurance company will need to get a full fire investigation report from the fire department before any cleanup begins. Also, your insurance company will most likely send an investigator to determine the cause and origin of the fire. In both cases cleanup and site disturbance should not start until the insurance company determines it is okay to proceed.
- Review your responsibilities listed under your insurance policy for cleaning up your home and preventing further damage. Talk through any questions you have with your insurance agent.
- When the company arrives, do a walkthrough of your home to discuss any areas that need to be cleaned.
- The company will evaluate the work and provide you with an estimate and contract for their services.
It is important that you contact a restoration company as soon as possible after the major event occurs. The first couple of days following a major incident are crucial, as a quick response can help ensure that as much of your home is recovered as possible.
Looking for a restoration company providing services in the Tulsa, OK area? 24/7 Disaster Group knows that a fire or flood can be a traumatizing experience for you and your family. That’s why we respond as quickly as possible, responding within an hour with satisfaction guaranteed.
Our technicians are safety-conscious, industry certified, highly trained professionals, and we use only the best tools and equipment to dry, clean and restore your home. If you want to move forward with 24/7 Disaster Group, contact us today.